Saturday, August 18, 2007

Close-up of my Access Router System



Pic changed 12/16/2007::
New 1200 Aironet Cisco Access router. sweet! and PIX 501 brand new under $100.00 0n ebay!
What I do is I have on top a cheesy Linksys wireless/lan router. Of which I will be replacing it with a PIX firewall some day soon. Then I have below that in white, a KVM switch. I got tired of having 100 monitors so I bought this off of ebay and it connects to 2 monitors that can access all my PCs. Then below the KVM is my Cisco 2511 access router. Love it. I connect all my cisco equipment with a Octal cable and configured my access router on its async port 1-8 to connect to my cisco devices reverse telnet off of my Loopback on my 2511. Easy setup it was. Then I have below my Access router R2 (2501), R1 (2520), FRC(2520), and R3 (2520). I have my own Frame Relay Cloud that I configured myself. FRC stands for this. I use a BOSON Sim 7.0 for my ISDN simulator. They are pricy. Like 500.00 and above for an ISDN type of simulator. But I saw some kit a guy built in Europe for 200.00s and sold in USA. I will look around. It is nice to have real equipment. I have used both sims and real. I like real better. Cause sims do not act 100% like real equipment. And that is crucial. It has to act the same!

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool lab, question please, I was looking for an access router, but the only thing available was the 2523 router.
I read the documentation but the only thing said is just 2523 as frame relay switch.

Can I use it as access server?

Thanks so much for the answer

itdaddy said...

dude you can only use 2509 or 2511
2509 has 8 async (reverse telnet)ports you can find 2509 and 2511s on ebay they can be pricey but if you look daily you can get a 2509 for 125.00 and or a 2511 for 150-250 they are more pricey due to the fact they have 16 (2x8) async ports. The async ports usuallly 8 have what is called a octal cable (you need 1 per 8 port async) cheap though 25.00 to 15.00 per cable and it has 8 leads numbered that hook up in the back of your devices in their respective console cables..
ebay every day watch....like the stock market watch for some guys selling that are good sellers but have no idea what they have they usually sell cheaper ;)
good luck man! thanks for stopping
Robert ;)

Unknown said...

The 2523 has also 8 low-speed async ports, 2 high-speed sync ports so I was a bit confused whether it can use the octal cable or not.
Wish that I can buy freely from ebay but the shipping cost is crazy, I can get some low price devices but with the shipping cost are triple of the price.

Thanks for answering.

itdaddy said...

dude it is my itdaddy.
look the 2523 up looks like it has async ports..make sure they are cat 5/rj45 connections not sure it it connections like rj11(telephone terminal/telnet sessions) i can send you my config and yuo can play around with it but it has to be cat5/rj45 connection(or ethernet) and reverse telnet is used just email me at robert@itdaddy.net and i can send my configs for my 2511 reverse telnet configs to you. hard to find documenst on it but once you see my config try to get the same IOS and see if it works; if you can get one telnet working you might be able to get all 8 or 16 working and hook your octal cable to each console port in back of the devices you have..
robert